Thursday, September 09, 2010

The Secret of Exum

I have an article in the latest issue of the Burroughs Bulletin (#83) (http://www.burroughsbibliophiles.com/index.html), wherein I demonstrate (conclusively, I think) that Edgar Rice Burroughs not only relied on Percival Lowell's hand-drawn maps of Mars for inspiration when he wrote his John Carter of Mars novels, but that he left us a clue - the ruined Martian city of Exum - to unlocking the secret of how to properly place the Martian cities from his stories on modern-day NASA maps of the Martian surface.

At some point I'll post the article online. I'm kind of proud of it, considering the fact that fans have been struggling to reconcile Burroughs' Mars geography with the real thing ever since his first story was published in 1912.

FOLLOWUP:
My article is available online at http://www.prismnet.com/unigames/Secret_of_Exum.pdf

6 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Chainsaw said...

Hey Jeff my name is Carlo Arellano and im a concept artist in videogames, working on world of warcraft and god of war and let me say that i got into it because of trying to emulate your drawings when i was a kid. you can find some of my art here:

http://chainsawart.blogspot.com/

thanks for the inspiration Jeff, you have always been my favorite D&D artist.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Jeff Dee said...

Thanks, Carlo. Excellent work!

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger rrpostal said...

Wow, Jeff, do you feel old?

I'm always jealous of people who get to do something they love as "work". It always comes through in the creations, also. That's outstanding stuff. I've been painting lately and if I had a portion of that talent I'd never stop. You both are awesome.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Jeff Dee said...

I've now posted my article online for everyone to see. http://www.io.com/unigames/Secret_of_Exum.pdf

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger nude0007 said...

Hey Jeff,
I have been following the Atheist Experience for about a year now and I especially like it when you are on. I like your passionate and very reasonable responses. I kept thinking that your name sounded familiar and I finally went to look up your profile. DUH! You are THAT Jeff Dee that does those very awesome illustrations for Villans and Vigilantes among other things. I am floored! I have always liked your work.
PS: the link to your Secret Of Exum article didn't work. As a very long time Burroughs fan, I was really interested to see what you had to say.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jeff Dee said...

nude0007 wrote:
"PS: the link to your Secret Of Exum article didn't work."

Sorry about that! My ISP's domain changed. the URL is now:

http://www.prismnet.com/unigames/Secret_of_Exum.pdf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home